It's My Life!
this is my world... come and know me more...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

It's My Life!
this is my world... come and know me more...
It's My Life!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teaching Good Values To Your Kids

Go down

Teaching Good Values To Your Kids Empty Teaching Good Values To Your Kids

Post  Web Administrator Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:24 am

I wonder what kind of values kids develop as they watch shows like Eat Bulaga of GMA and Wowowee of ABS CBN. The latter, I feel even highlights the misery of the ordinary Filipinos. Sometimes the contestants, with the hope that the TFC subscribers in the studio will give them some dollars, even resort to telling their sad stories to the whole nation. Maybe, the hosts have good intentions, but still, I suspect the values formed in the minds of the young. I mentioned these two programs because I feel that they are good representatives of the kind of shows we see on TV everyday. The government stations have few good shows for the children. These shows however are not well-produced, not entertaining, and and just fillers for programs that defend and support the actions of the government. Sometimes, Given the twisted logic pro-administration politicians showcase in government stations, I suspect the kind of values our youths catch from these stations. We cannot just open the TV and think that it is just for entertainment. Parents must be proactive in incultating positive values in their children. Mark Brandenburg, the author of 25 Secrets of Emotionally Intelligent Fathers, shared ten ideas to teach values to your kids. I think his tips make sense especially now that we are in a society where values are just buzz-words to attract more customers. Undeniably, much of the values caught by kids today are also influenced by MTV, Hollywood, and the rest of commercialized media. The parents must not live to the environment the values formation of the young. Try the ways suggested by Branderburg: 1. Tell them your life stories and teach through your stories. Kids love to hear stories about your childhood. Weave in some moral dilemmas and you’ve got great opportunities to teach values to them. It certainly beats lecturing your kids! 2. Live your own life according to your values—walk the talk. Kids learn by imitating, especially at a young age. They are very adept at seeing if what you say and what you do are matching up. Don’t give them confusing signals; follow your own values every moment. 3. Expose them to your religion or faith. It seems especially important today to let them know that they’re not alone. Providing your kids with a community of faith will strengthen their values and provide parents some “leverage” 4. Pay attention to who else might be teaching values to your kids. Get to know your child’s teachers, coaches, relatives, etc. Anyone who spends time with your kids may be influencing them. Know their values and beliefs as well. 5. Ask your kids questions that will stimulate dialogue about values. Telling them what values they should have won’t always be effective, especially when your kids get older. Asking them “curious” questions will allow discussions that will eventually lead to values. “What did you think about that fight,” may be more effective than, “He shouldn’t have started that fight!” 6. Talk to them about values in a relaxed and easy way. Nothing will turn your kids off more than preaching values to them after they’ve screwed up! Talk to them when everyone’s relaxed, and do it in a light, conversational manner. They’ll be much more likely to be listening rather than tuning you out. 7. Read them fairy tales when they’re younger. Fairy tales capture the imagination of kids and can easily lead to a discussion of values. Kids will learn the most concerning values when they’re excited about the topic. 8. Involve your kids in art, activities, or helping others while limiting TV and video games. Kids learn values when they experience them. Allow them to experience helping others and involve them in activities that will expand their creativity. 9. Have frequent conversations about values in your household. This lets your kids know that it’s important and it’s not just something you talk about when they do something wrong. 10. Have high expectations for your kids’ value systems. Kids will tend to rise to the level of expectation you have for them. Their value system will often reflect yours if the expectations are high. We are all responsible for the future. We can do it now. Let us transfer the right values.
Web Administrator
Web Administrator
Admin

https://bsme89115562.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum